[mythtv-users] Netflix Streaming on Myth box?

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 21:45:29 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 8:24 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > There is a 'secret' menu on the NetFLix Player that allows you to
>> > reduce how much bandwidth you are requesting. My experience is that I
>> > can drop it pretty low before I start seeing really bad video on my
>> > older large screen TV.
>> >

>> Is this on the web browser player? Where?
>> I'm running vista in a virtualbox on Gentoo 64 and the audio is choppy.
>
> IIRC, you hit Shift-B with the focus on the player in the browser and you'll
> get a little pulldown where you can set the bitrate

That did it.

It was set at 1000kbps. I set it to 500kbps (Iowest) and it was
marginally better. Plus, the video was much worse.

I then set it at 1600kbps and it was better at first then not so good.
During the playback at this speed, the player said my internet
connection "slowed" and was adjusting.

Setting it at 2200kbps made it stop and trying to fill a buffer. I
didn't stick around for that.

System:
 $ uname -a
Linux IVES 2.6.28 #2 SMP Thu Jan 29 17:00:05 PST 2009 x86_64 AMD
Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
$ cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:        3802412 kB

Running Vista on VirtualBox v1.6.6
Had to set from ALSA to OSS in VirtualBox to get audio. Don't know why
as I had ALSA before. No time to check it out, sorry. But, might be a
clue as to the audio choppiness.