[mythtv-users] VDPAU results

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 16 21:50:34 UTC 2009

I'm testing VDPAU WITH a G96(9500gt) gpu right now,  and it's working
fine.  Before it was using about 50% cpu for mythfrontend and about 15%
for X with bob 2x while playing 1080i content on a x2 3800.  After
setting up for vpdau I got about 40% for mythfrontend and 0 for X.
Should mention that initially I didn't think anything much changed
because I was still getting 40% on mythfrontend but X had dropped to
zero.  Then I realized that the cpu was now running at 1 ghz as opposed
to 2 GHz.  Needless to say 40% overall of 1 ghz is a lot less than
60-65% overall of 2ghz.  I still think the cpu usage is a bit high
compared to what others have reported.  I have tested the setup with the
cpu at full speed, then the usage is in the upper 20s %.  I think it's
something I missing though, because if I use the internal player in
mythvideo to play back high bitrate files like the infamous 13.5 mpg it
only uses about 5-8% of the 1ghz.  I was not able to play this file
before at all, it would pause every 2-3 seconds for about a second using
100% cpu.  Any ideas on why mythfrontend seems to be using that much cpu
to playback HD files recorded from a HDHR?  Everything else seems to be
working fine, haven't had any issues/faults for the 10 or so hrs of
watching HD tv programming over the last few days  I'm using the
backported vdpau support provided by Mr. Avenard (Thanks guy!). The
de-interlacing is awesome by the way, advanced hw 2x looks great.

Thanks