[mythtv-users] HD Video Quality

MrVining myth-user-discussion at mrvining.com
Mon Feb 16 22:11:59 UTC 2009

On Feb 16, 2009, at 2:32 PM, Paulin wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 2:16 PM, MrVining <myth-user-
> discussion at mrvining.com> wrote:
> Well now that I got aspect ratio fixed, I need to work on video
> quality.  My SD playback seems to be fine but for HD I seem to be
> running into a lack of performance and I don't know where to
> start.  I honestly thought this hardware would be plenty for HD
> playback, but maybe I need to adjust settings or something.  Here
> is my setup:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128072
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116072
> 1 Gig of ram
> On board video for now (that will change quickly if that is the
> issue).
>
> I guess I'm just shocked that TiVo can put out such great video
> with such crap hardware (I know that there is some hardware
> decoding, I guess I need to figure that out for my system?)
>
> Thank you for your time and response in advance.
>
> Eric
>
> Are you using VDPAU?   I think it is on the 0.21 fixes branch.   I
> had playback problems with HD and was pegging the CPU in a Dual
> core 2.2 GHz CPU.  Now with VDPAU I'm around 5-14% CPU.  I'm using
> Trunk however and a custom playback profile.
>
> steve

I used the "1-Click Install" from:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Opensuse_11.x

So I'm not really sure what version it installs.  For the most part
I'm using defaults of just about every setting.  Some people asked
about the type of files I'm playing.  For now I'm just playing back
what I have recorded with my HDHomeRuns ATSC tuners, from what I
gather is MPEG2ts.  At some point I would love to be able to play my
Blu-Ray disks, but for now I just want to get rid of my deathly TiVo
subscriptions($50+ per month and now they don't let you FF through
some commercials, f that).  I'm trying to use the Wiki as much as I
can but damn that thing sucks for someone reading at a 2nd-3rd grade
level...