[mythtv-users] How big CF card for frontend?

Dale Pontius DEPontius at edgehp.net
Mon Feb 16 23:00:59 UTC 2009

Tom Lichti wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 9:45 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> True.... But you could add it to OpenEmbedded and build for a platform of
>>> your choice.  Now the question is:  Is there interest?  Or is this one of
>>> those one-off projects?  And, how portable is the myth code?  Would it run
>>> on anything other than x86?
>>
>> well it runs on ppc and amd64 :-)
>>
>> But seriously (and back on topic) is the difference here between
>>
>> 1. a system that simply boots off flash/CF and then mounts / or /usr
>> over nfs (Which I suspect is what Colin is doing, I also note that the
>> mythbuntu setup is for a network mounted system and that the flash
>> drive setup seems to be a substitue for netbooting the kernel and
>> initramfs, as opposed to a full system); or
>>
>> 2. A complete system booting from flash and mounting the flash device
>> as / (which is, I suspect, what Tom Lichti is doing, and what I was
>> proposing).
>
> I am doing 2. Much easier to maintain, I think, since it's basically a
> normal setup.

I've got an IDE-flash adapter and 4G compact flash, and have been
planning to try the same trick.  Is there little enough writing to /
that you don't feel it necessary to divert writes somewhere else?  I had
been thinking of using something like unionfs or aufs to stack tempfs
over the flash for root, and nfs-mount /var over my lan.

This seems to me like quite an exercise in rewriting an
initscript/initramfs - nothing too terrible, but still not quite like
anything else I've seen.  Between that and the fact that my IDE cable is
a little too tight going from the motherboard, through the hole, and
over to the DVD drive, the IDE/CF is still sitting on the shelf.

Still, I'm curious to hear what others have done.  When the flea markets
start again, I want to pick up a longer (and round) IDE cable and redo this.

Dale Pontius