[mythtv-users] [Resolved] NVP: prebuffering pause

Phil Wild philwild at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 01:09:52 UTC 2009

Since starting to play with MythTV two months ago, I have been plagued
with the following intemittent messages in my frontend log. Up until
yesterday, everything I tried had failed. I had rebuilt the system
many times, I tried switching to vdpau. I upgraded my home network to
gigabit ethernet.

I was continually seeing the following messages in the log

NVP: prebuffering pause
NVP: Prebuffer wait timed out 10 times.

I am running on an ASUS M3N78-EM motherboard with 2GB RAM. I boot from
a USB key and am running ubuntu 8.10

I found some info in this ticket http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/2335

I also found mention of hpet in the wiki relating to "waiting for free
video buffers" which I was not seeing but thought I would try anyway.

Disabling HPET in my BIOS (under southbridge configuration) and adding
the kernel boot option acpi_use_timer_override

I also added the following to /etc/mysql/my.cnf so it is possible that
one or both fixed the issue. For now, I am just happy that I have had
24 hours without seeing one of those messgaes.

old_passwords=1
key_buffer = 32M
max_allowed_packet = 16M
table_cache = 1000
sort_buffer_size = 32M
net_buffer_length = 16M
thread_cache_size = 200
query_cache_type = 1
query_cache_size = 24M

Hopefully this and google may help others resolve a similar issue.

Cheers

Phil