[mythtv-users] Why cant we make a STB?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Feb 17 01:54:43 UTC 2009

John Drescher wrote:
> I do remember the problem you have with memory leaks and mythtv
> however I have had a myth system run with over 400 days of uptime
> without this problem. At that time I was recording only analog from
> multiple tuners however.

Right, the memory leak seems to be fairly unique to his setup.

This is actually pretty easy to avoid in an STB type product.  Since you
control the hardware, you can just avoid configurations that trigger
software bugs.  This is one of the reasons console games are less buggy
than PC games, for example.