[mythtv-users] VDPAU field report

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Tue Feb 17 07:06:49 UTC 2009

I've just upgraded to 180.29 and Jean-Yves Avenard's VDPAU backport to
fixes through r19990. The below are differences from my prior message.

I wrote:
> I use one field because, as others have reported, my 8400GS can't use
> the Advanced or Temporal 1x or 2x deinterlacers

With the 180.29 and r19990 combination I can now use the Temporal 1x
and 2x deinterlacers without skipping. The OSD will generally cause
skips, but other than that the video is 99.44% rock solid with the
highest-bitrate 1080i content I could find, including the CBS content
some on -users have complained about lately. Advanced 1x and 2x still
stutter too much.

> I can use [VDPAU's] Bob, but only with noticeable tearing/ghost
> after images during pans and movement.

Bob no longer suffers from these ailments. I have not used it much as
I now have access to Temporal 2x, but intend to try it at some point
as Jean-Yves has reported that he, bizarrely, gets better results with
it than with Temporal 2x.

> some occasional very minor tearing in the top 20% during movement
> (the two clips I mention at
> <URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/351830#351830>,
> for example).

In TBSBaseball I can't swear to it, but the slight "shimmering" that
was visible in the score overlay at the top of the screen has improved
in some parts (not all) of the clip. The more-visible tearing in the
_Chuck_ clip remains.

I have not noticed any tearing with 13.5.mpg but, oddly enough, do see
some with 7.mpg at the top of the screen right after the screen
switches to 16:9 and the the camera pans down. The _Chuck_ clip is, I
estimate, 6mbps. Is there something odd about VDPAU's handling of non
highest-quality h.264 video? Or something odd about the HD-PVR's
encoding of such?

> One-frame skips during playback first jump a few frames, then jump
> back to the correct one, which is somewhat disconcerting but
> harmless.

This is still the case. I should have mentioned that this only happens
when moving backward, not forward.

One new wrinkle with r19990/180.29 is that, during playback, the
in-playback version of Upcoming Recordings does not completely cover
the video; a stripe at the bottom, the left-hand stripe at the top and
the upper-right corner, plus a few other little chunks/lines here and
there are still visible. The page itself works fine, I can exit it and
return to playback without issues, and the other two in-playback pages
(Program Finder and Watch Recordings) don't have this issue. The
chunks' placement seem to be based on some elements of the Retro theme
I use, if that helps any.

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array