[mythtv-users] Deinterlacing settings for 6200 vs 8400GS and VDPU???

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Tue Feb 17 12:12:29 UTC 2009

Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> says:
> Bob2x produced what looked like excellent results on the moving bar
> but seemed to do nothing helpful when the picture is paused.

That's my experience, too; Bob with the xv-blit renderer does an
excellent job with movement/pans. It is a 2X deinterlacer; it takes
advantage of your projector's progressive output and doubles the
refresh rate on interlaced content, producing noticeably-smoother
movemet than with the 1X one field, kernel, or linear blend
deinterlacers.

> Now I see that some people are looking forward to VDPAU to run Bob
> 2x, which runs very well on my 6200 apparently.

VDPAU Bob is superior to the xv-blit one, or so I am told. I can say
that it only uses a fraction of the 50-70% of CPU the xv-blit (i.e.,
without VDPAU) version requires.

> So, is a 6200 giving me an advantage and is VDPAU going to just give
> me the higher modes?  There seems to be some question if the 8400GS
> will do the higher modes so will I see any advantage from VDPAU?

If Bob with xv-blit works well for you on 1080i content, then that's a
very good place to start off with. That's where I was pre-VDPAU.

xv-blit Bob is inferior to yadif/greedy (also 2X)--the OpenGL
renderer-based, non-VDPAU deinterlacers Jean-Yves mentioned--which I
didn't have the CPU horsepower to use anyway (but which you might). It
is also inferior to the Bob or Temporal/Advanced 2X deinterlacers
VDPAU brings. Before upgrading to the 180.29 Nvidia drivers and the
newest version of the 0.21-fixes VDPAU backport, I was unable to use
the VDPAU Bob or Temporal/Advanced deinterlacers and so instead used
VDPAU One field. Quite good, actually, but movement was not as smooth
as I was used to with xv-blit Bob. Now, I am able to use the VDPAU
Temporal 2X deinterlacer and video quality is, indeed, slightly better
than with non-VDPAU Bob.

"Big deal," you may be asking yourself. "If non-VDPAU Bob was pretty
good, is moving to a fancy VDPAU 2X deinterlacer worth the trouble?"
The *real* advantage to VDPAU is not so much in playing the MPEG-2 OTA
recordings from your HDHomeRun which your frontend already can, and
quite well, albeit using ~50% more CPU horsepower. VDPAU can also play
*just as easily* MPEG-4 h.264 recordings from the HD-PVR device that
0.22 will fully support. Without VDPAU only those with very, very,
very fast frontends can play them, and results are not
guaranteed. VDPAU lets even my 3.5-years old Pentium 4 play them, and
without breathing hard.

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array