[mythtv-users] Leaving...

raphy rpooser at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 00:34:12 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:

> At risk of creating a situation that will prove what I think is Brad's
> point, I don't think the errant, useless information is what he was
> referring to.  In fact, I don't think he cared about the volume of the
> messages *at all*, but rather their often-objectionable content.  I'll
> try to summarize in a way that won't result in rage-filled replies,
> but if it does, it'll just make my point better than I am likely to be
> able to.
>
> Many, many people on this list behave with an entitled, rude attitude.
>  It's not entirely everyone's fault, as IMO the list has been left
> unmanaged and unmoderated.  I won't speak for any group, so don't
> think I'm trying to speak for "the devs" or "the contributors" or any
> other person but myself.  I *do* know that I'm a contributor and that
> myself and many other contributors on Freenode are constantly aghast
> at some of the ignorant, rude things said on the list, to the point
> where many of the most knowledgeable people using Myth avoid this list
> like the plague.  There are many days where I don't even know why I
> continue to read except for the comic value.

Ahh, I reached that point long ago. :)
Because I was such a newbie for a while, I never really got the chance
to contribute much. Most of the time the easy questions get answered
quite quickly, so I don't have the chance to participate before such
would be made redundant. After not too long, all of my problems with
myth were eventually solved, and I started going off in other
directions with my myth system which turned out to be different
directions from the majority of users. The amount of help the list
could provide me began to decline quite rapidly. I decided to hang
around for a while to try and see if there were any questions I could
answer, but what happens is people pounce on them and answer within 5
to 30 minutes typically. When you sometimes only see the question a
day after it has been asked, the answer has been long provided. This
is a good thing. I'm just giving reasons for why my list participation
is quite low.

So, what is left is to continue reading, looking for posts of
interest. You never know when some cool idea will come along from a
fellow user. And also the list was a good way for me to get info back
when we were switching to SD. Now days reading for interest has pretty
much dropped down a notch to reading for entertainment. Whenever I see
petty disagreements, I read through them for a little while to see if
there are any interesting turns. I think I do it because I like to
study how crazy people can be on forums. What I've found is that this
mail list is similar to a forum but different in many ways. Sometimes
people get a bit more personal because of the email format, perhaps
forgetting that it's archived online. I know I made those mistakes
early on.
cheers
raphy