[mythtv-users] When does a Video Sync to File System

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 21:49:20 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Paulin <paulin at spextreme.com> wrote:

> I'm hoping this is a simple answer.
>
> When I put a file on the hard disk in the videos directory, when does the
> Video browser sync to the file system and display it in the browser?  I've
> been going into the Setting->Video Manager to try and force it but it
> doesn't consistently do it.  So I'm trying to figure our what really causes
> update the listing.  And how would I force it to resync?

As far as I know it will not automatically update the database with new
videos that have been added to your videos folder (I assume this is what you
mean by sync). If you check back a couple of days ago there is a thread
discussing various ways of setting it to update automatically via cron.
Manually you can go to Settings->Video Manager as you said and it should
happen immediately. It syncs with the file system before it actually enters
the video manager. Another manual method which I prefer is to use mythweb.
When you are in the video section there is a button on the upper right that
says "scan library" or something like similar. If you have added videos and
they aren't showing up after you do a manual scan, then one possible problem
is that you don't have the file type defined for that type of video. One
time I had a video with a divx extension and it wouldn't get added. I
finally realized I had to go into the mythtv settings and define a file type
for that extension. Then it was added on the next scan.