[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 8.10 and Realtime Priority

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Thu Feb 19 12:52:59 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 16:58 -0500, James Crow wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 13:09 -0800, Allen Edwards wrote:
> >         I still do not have mythfrontend running with realtime
> >         priority. Steps I
> >         took:
> >
> >         Edited /etc/security/limits.conf adding this:
> >         *               -       rtprio     0
> >         *               -       nice       0
> >         @audio          -       rtprio     50
> >         @audio          -       nice       0
> >

> > I just did this myself and as you have not just called my arrogant or
> > rude I will be happy to share what worked for me with my mythbuntu
> > 8.04 setup.
> >

> > I didn't have any luck with the audio group, didn't exist, I put my
> > user name in.  To be specific, my user and group name is dad.  I
> > edited the file as below.
> >

> > *               -       rtprio     0
> > *               -       nice       0
> > @dad          -       rtprio     50
> > @dad          -       nice       0
> >

> > Now I find this message in mythfontend log:
> >

> > 2009-02-18 12:06:23.467 Using realtime priority.
> >

> > Hope this helps,
> >

> > Allen
> >

> For me the audio group does exist and my user (james) is a member of
> that group. Audio is not the user's primary group. Maybe I should try
> setting the @audio to @james or whatever my primary group is.
>
> I will also check the logs tonight.
>
> Thanks,
> James

Last night I watched a few recordings with Myth. This morning when I
looked through the logs I see that Myth thinks it is running with
realtime priority. However when I view the processes with top it shows
mythfrontend with nice 20 instead of RT. In this post
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/370582#370582
matthias mentions that even though realtime appears in the log the
frontend may not be running with realtime priority. He suggests to use
top or schedtool to verify. Can anyone give me more details on a way to
tell if the frontend is using RT threads?

Thanks,
James