[mythtv-users] SDI with embedded audio and MythTV (suggestions?)

Matt Christy mchristy at mindtv.org
Thu Feb 19 14:57:14 UTC 2009

Good Morning All,

	We're an independent non-profit television station serving the greater Philadelphia market. Recently we acquired additional satellites to receive feeds, and we are interested in recording the feeds to MPEG-2 for broadcast at a later time. Our satellite receivers are Sencores that output an SDI signal with embedded audio. I've been having difficulty finding recording cards that are compatible with MythTV that support digital SDI with embedded audio.

	I searched the archives a bit, and I found some suggestions of AJA cards. Currently we use AJA Kona LSe cards in some of our Macs to capture video off of beta decks. I also know that these cards support SDI with embedded audio. Does anyone know if they work with MythTV? If not, does anyone have any other suggestions? We've looked into pre-manufactured solutions from other vendors, but they tend to be in the 21k-50k price range.

	Also, I've been doing some reading on the MythTV FAQs that are around, and there have been suggestions that any one MythTV box shouldn't exceed four recording devices. Is this true when recording Digital signals as well? We have four new satellites, which can output a max of 8 feeds at once. I was thinking of building two separate myth boxes with four cards each.

	Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Matthew Lawrence Christy

Systems Administrator
Independence Media  |  MiND TV
mchristy at mindtv.org
8200 Ridge Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19128
www.independencemedia.org  | www.mindtv.org