[mythtv-users] Boxee/Hulu?

Dean Collins Dean at cognation.net
Thu Feb 19 15:18:39 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of C.T. Paterson
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2009 10:10 AM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Boxee/Hulu?

2009/2/19 Dean Collins <Dean at cognation.net>:

> Boxee/Hulu - Am I wrong?

http://www.avc.com/a_vc/2009/02/the-valentines-day-breakup.html?disqus_r
eply=6393834#comment-6393834

I think your analogies on how you're trying to explain re-purposing

stray too far from what Boxee is actually doing.

I think a closer analogy would be to imagine there was this thing that

could capture over the air broadcasts, but instead of capturing it

into a TV (as was the original purpose), they instead went into a PC

and was displayed on your monitor instead...

Cheers.

--

"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

                                        -- Thomas Paine

Yeh I think a few people have difficulties with the 'dvd' example
thinking I mean 'recording for later use'.

Another example is

"What Boxee is doing is taking copies of the NY Times, cutting them up
to A4 size sheets and then distributing your version of the NY Times at
the 32nd and 7th ave exit of Penn Station.

Sure NY Times will be selling more copies so should be happy, but Boxee
are repurposing the content into their vision without the permission of
the original licensor.

I'm as 'newtech' as most people but the flaw here is that Boxee is
making money from someone else's content without their permission."

I'm surprised they are surprised at this reaction.

- as a business person I would have been prepared for this if/when it
occurred. And had an alternative in the wings ready to go.

.....of course this assumes they don't already and the pr chaos over the
past 24 hours isn't the plan.

Cheers,

Dean