[mythtv-users] HD Playback

MrVining myth-user-discussion at mrvining.com
Fri Feb 20 04:03:06 UTC 2009

On Feb 19, 2009, at 7:39 PM, Krzysztof Adamski wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 19:07 -0600, MrVining wrote:
>> This HD Video playback thing still has me stumped.  It seems there is
>> soo many different options and settings.  I read a lot about someone
>> did this or that and now CPU load is at 15% or what ever.  Anyway I
>> have decided I'm going about this the wrong way, instead of asking
>> for tips on what will make my hardware run okay, I'll just ask what's
>> the best?
>>
>> I have my backend all set up, or on it's way (4TB RAID5 &
>> 3xHDHomeRun, multi Gigabit Network Cards).
>>
>> Now I'm building the front ends and this is mission critical for me,
>> if the wife doesn't have TV, I don't get to the office...  LOL but
>> kinda true, don't get me wrong "Apples to Apples" and "Back-seat
>> Drawing" are fun, but I need my HTTP/WoW.  We have a big screen 16:9
>> HD TV with a free HDMI input, and a THX certified Yamaha receiver
>> (only using 5.1 atm, hope to change to 7.1 after we move in a year or
>> so).  She records mostly 1080i programs.
>>
>> There seems to be lot's of playback options so what one yields the
>> highest quality picture?
>>
>> What hardware is needed to drive that decompression (zero dropped
>> frames)?
>>
>> If you had 2-3k to drop on a front end for a client what would
>> components would you use?
>>

>> No need to respond negatively, if you're not going to have fun with
>> it don't bother to respond.  Basically if you won the lottery what
>> would your front end be made up of, and what settings would you shoot
>> for?
>
> If cost is no object, one thing that I would do for the frontend is to
> build a powerful machine that sits in a basement (or someplace far
> away
> from the TV) and use a HDMI extenders (like
> http://www.audioauthority.com/product_details/1391A/HDMI/5/2).
> This way no noise and no headaches about building a nice looking and
> quiet frontend (Audio and remote have to be extended too).

OOO those are cool.  Our last house I put all the TiVos down stairs
and used some 50' HDMI cables I got from a place called ruby
electronics I think.  Anyway they worked pretty good, the only issue
I ever had was that one of the HDMI ports got old / loose and I had
to sort of prop up the cable to make sure all the contacts made contact.

Anyone else have any dream system ideas?