[mythtv-users] The best VDPAU video card

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 05:47:55 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/2/20 Phil Wild <philwild at gmail.com>:
> I was looking for an 8400 series but perhaps I am going about this the
> wrong way...

What processor do you have?

At this stage, of the card you've listed , only the 8400gs will do
VC-1 decoding in hardware.
But on the other hand, it will have the least capabilities when it
comes to deinterlacing.

In my opinion, if you have enough CPU grunt, VC-1 decoding isn't that
important compare to a good quality deinterlacer.

Also be careful with the 8800, not all of them support VDPAU.

If you want something fanless, it will have to be a 8400, 8600, 9400
or 9500. I don't think there are any fanless 9600 and above

> We have
>
> 9800
> 9600
> 9500
> 9400
> 8800
> 8500
> 8400
>
> series cards. If I expand my search to all the above, what should I
> look out for when making my selection? I actually think I will have
> trouble finding anything in a low profile config in anything other
> than 8400 though.

You may be a tad too focused on the low profile bit ; I thought my PC
would only accept low-profile , yet when I actually put my 9400GT card
in, it fitted *just* !

> Any thoughts on this card people?
> http://www.sparkle.com.tw/product_detail.asp?id=65&sub_id=262

Looks like a G98 card.. don't know if you can find those in Oz