[mythtv-users] OT: RCN cable opinions?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Feb 20 16:23:34 UTC 2009

On Friday 20 February 2009 08:39:29 Steven Adeff wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>  Comcast is burning their already short string with me these last few
> months, and since I'm lucky enough to have the ability to switch to a
> different cable providor, RCN, I'm thinking about doing it. The costs
> are basically the same though RCN seems to have more basic HD
> channels.
> So, my question to you all is, what are people's experience with
> RCN?Would I be trading one rabid dog for another?
> Do their HD boxes work well with firewire capture in Myth?

I've not dealt with RCN on a consumer level, but I had no problems with them
as a common carrier, but that was years ago.

BTW - Did you know the name is an acronym for what they started out
as? "Rockefeller Center Network". They did the telco/communications work for
the Rock City complex. Some have claimed it was "Radio City Network", but I
believe the former is correct.

The fact that they are a smaller outfit than Comcast alone would probably make
them easier to deal with, or at least easier to get in touch with.

It's hard to imagine anyone could be worse than Comcast, but you never know.

--
beww
beww at beww.org