[mythtv-users] Boxee/Hulu?

Jason Weida jason.m.weida at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 17:01:45 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, NBC made Hulu to compliment TV.

/snip/

I agree, and it is so ironic.  hulu shows were the *only* time I watch
advertisements.  I don't even mind watching them because it's just *one* ad
and it's 30 seconds long.  Not a long enough break to leave the room and/or
ignore the ad.

Before DVR, on ad breaks I would mute the volume and read, talk to my
spouse, leave the room, maybe even stop watching if I realized the show was
bad in my moment of free thought.

With DirecTivo, I fast forwarded/30 sec skipped through 4+ minute commercial
breaks.

With Myth and my OTA shows... auto commercial skip.  My giddiness is only
tempered by a slight pang of guilt as I see about 3 blank frames where the
ad break would have been.  (Sometimes I even wish there was a way to watch
just one commercial per break.  I know, I'm crazy...  But zero commercials
does kind of take me out of the loop on what the kids are talking about
these days ;-).)

Along came hulu, which resurrected ad watching for me, and I didn't even
mind it, maybe I even liked it!  Now they are trying to take the advertisers
"in" with me away.  If they realized what was happening, at least in my
household, those hulu ads should sell for a kings ransom because it's not a
compliment to TV, it's the *only* ad supported TV I watch!  Boxee enables me
to be comfortable while *actually watching and paying attention* to the
ads!  If that's not what the content providers want, their shows can rot as
far as I'm concerned.

When are they going to get it?  Stop clinging to the past and embrace the
future!