[mythtv-users] SDI with embedded audio and MythTV

Matt Christy mchristy at mindtv.org
Fri Feb 20 18:33:16 UTC 2009

[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Nick Rout
>Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2009 7:27 PM
>To: Discussion about mythtv
>Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] SDI with embedded audio and MythTV
>

>Just a point (and interesting to see a commercial company favouring
>mythtv, good on you).
>
>I don't know much about SDI, but is the video and audio already a
>mpeg2 stream (perhaps delivered over SDI), if not you will need to be
>encoding it either in hardware or software.

SDI is uncompressed audio/video. The idea was to have either the
harwdare encoder or the software encoder encode the signal as it's
recording. I guess I assumed that if I was able to get an SDI signal
into the box (by using a card that can take SDI in), MythTV would take
the uncompressed audio/video and make and MPEG-2 files. This is
assumption wrong? :) (I'm fairly new to this.. so excuse my ignorance).

-M