[mythtv-users] overscan problems with nvidia 8400 GS

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 01:32:37 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 5:17 PM, <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:

> The documentation is wrong and TVOverScan no longer works in xorg.conf
>>
>> I put made the last two lines of /etc/gdm/Init/Default as below.
>>  Experiment with the 20 number.  I can't remember what the settings are but
>> if you make the 20 a 50 you will see what it does.  Just restart X to see.
>>  Also, my TV screen is TV-0, if yours is different, change that too.
>>
>> nvidia-settings -a TVOverScan[TV-0]=20
>> exit 0
>>

> I have tried this as well as adding it to my ~/.nvidia-settings-rc and then
> calling nvidia-settings -l at using the gnome session settings. Neither of
> these works. I think the overscan setting is not available in the driver for
> the 8400gs. When you run nvidia-settings gui there is no overscan option
> anymore.
>
> Is there something I can do with modelines? I don't know anything about
> them butI have seen people talking about getting them right for a specific
> TV. Are they only an issue with HDTV LCDs?
>
> It is incredibly frustrating because this is a newly built system and
> thought I got all the hardware right so that I could leave behind several
> little nuiscances I was dealing with because my old hardware. Now all I have
> done is replaced them with a new set of annoyances.
>
> Any other ideas about fixing this overscan issue would make me very
> pleased.

As I recall, and it has been awhile, it was not obvious where the overscan
was in nvidia settings.  I can't run it so I won't be much help.  I guess
you can run  nvidia-settings -a TVOverScan[TV-0]=20 from the control line to
be sure but what you have done should work I would think. I would still try
it just to be sure.  I was going to try it on my remote FE but it doesn't
have a TV.  I am afraid to run it on my main FE because of some specific
conflict I have with my air2pc card.  There certainly is no overscan setting
in my remote FE and I certainly have no overscan in my main FE so it must be
working.  If you are sure it is not there in your system, I can play around
more on mine to see if it will help you.

Allen