[mythtv-users] overscan problems with nvidia 8400 GS

Dale Pontius DEPontius at edgehp.net
Sat Feb 21 13:00:13 UTC 2009

Allen Edwards wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 7:59 PM, <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 10:49 PM, Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
>>> wrote:
>>>  noticed no difference between 0.0 and
>>>
>>> For sure the xorg.conf TVOverScan will not work.  It has not worked for
>>> many months.  Although it is still in the documentation at Nvidia, I was
>>> told July that it was "depreciated".
>>>
>>> Please, try this from the command line:
>>> nvidia-settings -1 TVOverScan[*TV*-0]=20
>>>
>> This gives a syntax error. I think you mean :
>> nvidia-settings -a TVOverScan[*TV*-0]=20
>>
>> but that still has no effect for me. Are you using an 8400 GS and if so
>> what driver are you running?
>>

> You are correct in what I  should have said.  I am not using a 8400GS
> although I have one in my windows machine.  I have a 6200.
>
> I wish I could remember what happened the last time I changed my system
> because I was sure that TVOverScan quit working. I remember calling my son,
> who is the one who made the last set of changes, but he claimed to have done
> nothing.  I think it started working after a reboot or perhaps after I got
> something else fixed, I don't remember sorry.  At this point, if it were me,
> I would put that command just before the exit 0 in  /etc/gdm/Init/Default
> and reboot.  If that didn't work, they you clearly have a board specific
> issue or another Nvidia update issue.  My Nvidia driver is 173.14.12 so if

Well that tears it. It appears that you can have proper overscan OR you
can have vdpau, but not both.  I recently set up a new laptop for work,
and found that I had to stick with the 173-series nVidia drivers -
there's a nasty timeout with the later ones.

So if proper overscan requires 173.x and vdpau requires >180...

> you have a later one, perhaps you can try that one.  Otherwise, it would
> have to be the board.  If it still doesn't work, let me know and I will go
> down and play with my system and at least come up with a definitive test.
I need to get my Mythbox out of the basement and hooked to the TV, so I
can start working with this.

Dale Pontius