[mythtv-users] overscan problems with nvidia 8400 GS

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 16:26:25 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 5:00 AM, Dale Pontius <DEPontius at edgehp.net> wrote:

> Allen Edwards wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 7:59 PM, <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 10:49 PM, Allen Edwards <
> allen.p.edwards at gmail.com

> was

> >> This gives a syntax error. I think you mean :
> >> nvidia-settings -a TVOverScan[*TV*-0]=20
> >>
> >> but that still has no effect for me. Are you using an 8400 GS and if so
> >> what driver are you running?
> >>

> > You are correct in what I  should have said.  I am not using a 8400GS
> > although I have one in my windows machine.  I have a 6200.
> >
> > I wish I could remember what happened the last time I changed my system
> > because I was sure that TVOverScan quit working. I remember calling my
> son,
> > who is the one who made the last set of changes, but he claimed to have
> done
> > nothing.  I think it started working after a reboot or perhaps after I
> got
> > something else fixed, I don't remember sorry.  At this point, if it were
> me,
> > I would put that command just before the exit 0 in  /etc/gdm/Init/Default
> > and reboot.  If that didn't work, they you clearly have a board specific
> > issue or another Nvidia update issue.  My Nvidia driver is 173.14.12 so
> if
>
> Well that tears it. It appears that you can have proper overscan OR you
> can have vdpau, but not both.  I recently set up a new laptop for work,
> and found that I had to stick with the 173-series nVidia drivers -
> there's a nasty timeout with the later ones.
>
> So if proper overscan requires 173.x and vdpau requires >180...
>
> > you have a later one, perhaps you can try that one.  Otherwise, it would
> > have to be the board.  If it still doesn't work, let me know and I will
> go
> > down and play with my system and at least come up with a definitive test.
> I need to get my Mythbox out of the basement and hooked to the TV, so I
> can start working with this.
>
> Dale Pontius

As part of my experiments when setting up the dual monitor system I did
experiment with the settings in myth for screen size and you can make the
screen smaller and thus no overscan using that.  It didn't work for me
because I have two screens with different sizes that are display 1 but it
may work for others. Of course, when you use firefox to watch Hulu you have
a problem.  If the myth browser would do flash that could be solved there.

That said, is it possible to fake out the screen size with a mode statement
and reduce the screen that way?  Another idea is to run X inside a virtual
screen that is adjustable.  Perhaps that could be part of the release.  Is
that possible, I don't know.

Allen