[mythtv-users] Looking for Dual Head Help

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 17:50:03 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 12:27 PM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
> John Welch wrote:
>>
>> So, anyone get any suggestions on how I can make this work?  I think
>> what I want is two separate X servers each controlling one display,
>> but I can't figure out the proper xorg.conf for this configuration.  I
>> have read the section in the wiki page describing this setup, but it
>> is just not clicking with me.  Ideally I'd like to be able to use both
>> displays at the same time, like I can do now with my Xinerama setup,
>> but this is not absolutely essential as most of the time I'm really
>> only use one display or the other.
>>

> http://wiki.c3sl.ufpr.br/multiseat/index.php/NVidia_multiseat
>
> However, you will lose XvMC and compiz if that's an issue.  It's not for me
> as myth + Xorg + Xephyr are still < 70% of one core with this setup.
>
> However, be careful - the latest experimental xorg is not supported by
> nvidia binary blobs, so you really want to stay away from anything > 1.5.3
>

> --Yan

Yan, thanks for the suggestion.  I will have to check it out.  Losing
XvMC and compiz are not issues, as I am currently using neither.
However, if it affects the KDE (kwin) desktop effects then it is a
deal-breaker as that is what I am trying to get around.  Also, I've
looked at some of the other multi-seat setups, and they all seem to
assume multiple graphic cards, as opposed to a dual-headed card, and
also require a separate keyboard and mouse for each display, which I
don't have.

Allan, thanks for posting your xorg.conf.  This almost exactly matched
my current setup.  I made a few tweaks based on your post, but I'm
still not getting it to work properly.  Yes, I can get the frontend to
display on the HDTV like I want, but when I switch mouse and keyboard
control back to the primary display I can't figure out how to return
them to the MythTV display when I need to.  What am I missing here, or
is this simply the way it works?

John