[mythtv-users] Looking for Dual Head Help

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 18:49:51 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 10:37 AM, John Welch <jrw3319 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 12:57 PM, Allen Edwards
> <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Allan, thanks for posting your xorg.conf.  This almost exactly matched
> >> my current setup.  I made a few tweaks based on your post, but I'm
> >> still not getting it to work properly.  Yes, I can get the frontend to
> >> display on the HDTV like I want, but when I switch mouse and keyboard
> >> control back to the primary display I can't figure out how to return
> >> them to the MythTV display when I need to.  What am I missing here, or
> >> is this simply the way it works?
> >

> > I just move the mouse onto the display I want and click it.  That moves
> the
> > focus back to that screen.  I have seen scrips that do this so you could
> set
> > up a button on the remote to accomplish it.  You can't see the mouse on
> the
> > myth display and if you don't move it far enough you might hit a key but
> if
> > you move it all the way over it should be OK.
> > Allen
> >
> This is exactly how it works for me with Xinerama enabled, and how I
> want it to work without Xinerama, but it simply isn't behaving like
> this.  If I start the frontend on the the HDTV display the keyboard
> follows.  However, once I return to the primary display I then lose
> any ability to get back to the HDTV display.  I can slide the mouse
> off the primary display and onto the HDTV display but clicking in that
> window does not return the focus there.  This is the part that is
> driving me crazy.
>
> How important are the metamode option lines in your Xorg.conf?  They
> are essentially the only difference that I am seeing between your
> xorg.conf and my current one.  I thought metamode only setup the size
> of the screen, and I am letting the nvidia driver auto-detect the
> size.

I have the metamode mainly so that the projector works properly in its
native mode rather than in the highest mode it reports.

I have used several mice and they all can move freely between displays, both
USB and standard and both wireless and wired so I doubt that is the issue.

What happens if you exit myth and move the mouse around?  Are you saying it
will move freely to the main display but not move back?  That sounds strange
for sure.

Also, if you send me your xorg.conf file you can get a second set of eyes on
it.  I probably won't find anything, but it can't hurt.

Allen