[mythtv-users] Looking for Dual Head Help

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 17:30:18 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Allen Edwards
<allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> I played around a little.  This might help.  I hooked up a TV to my remote
> FE so I could try a few things.  First I took your xorg.conf file and could
> not get the TV to work with it.  I didn't troubleshoot it that much but
> instead just ran nvidia-settings and let it set up the two displays by
> enabling the TV and setting it up as separate displays, not twinview.  I
> restarted X and all was well.  I have two desktops and can start myth on
> either one.  It works differently than my main setup and is actually better
> I think.  If you have not tried this start from scratch approach, you might
> give it a try.  I did have trouble saving the file and had to save it in my
> home directory and copy it in to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  It actually brought up
> two desktops complete with scroll bars to launch programs.  I had not seen
> that before but then again I am running a different desktop manager on the
> two machines.  This one is more of a complete Ubuntu system that I use to
> run php scrips as well as watch myth.
> Anyway, the important thing was that the mouse was free to move to either
> desktop and didn't get stuck as you are describing.
> Below is what was created in case you want to compare.
> Allen
>

> ----------------------xorg.conf-----------------------------------------
> # nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
> # nvidia-settings:  version 1.0  (buildd at vernadsky)  Thu Jun  5 09:26:53 UTC
> 2008
> Section "ServerLayout"
>     Identifier     "Layout0"
>     Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
>     Screen      1  "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
>     InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
>     InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
> EndSection
> Section "Files"
>     RgbPath         "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
> EndSection
> Section "Module"
>     Load           "dbe"
>     Load           "extmod"
>     Load           "type1"
>     Load           "freetype"
>     Load           "glx"
> EndSection
> Section "ServerFlags"
>     Option         "Xinerama" "0"
> EndSection
> Section "InputDevice"
>     # generated from default
>     Identifier     "Mouse0"
>     Driver         "mouse"
>     Option         "Protocol" "auto"
>     Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
>     Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
>     Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> EndSection
> Section "InputDevice"
>     # generated from default
>     Identifier     "Keyboard0"
>     Driver         "kbd"
> EndSection
> Section "Monitor"
>     # HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
>     Identifier     "Monitor0"
>     VendorName     "Unknown"
> [...]

Well, after doing some more testing it appears this is a KDE issue.
If I switch my desktop environment to XFCE everything works as
expected; I get desktop icons on both desktops and full mouse control
in both.  I can switch the mouse/keyboard focus back and forth without
any problems.  Unfortunately the very reason I'm trying to adjust my
Xserver settings is to be able to use KDE desktop effects on my
"general purpose" desktop, so I'll guess I'll have to do some more
digging and perhaps seek assistance in the Fedora/KDE forums.

Allan, thanks for your help in troubleshooting this issue.  If not for
your posts I would still be thinking I was configuring something wrong
in my xorg.conf.  Just out of curiosity, what desktop environment and
version are you running?

Thanks,
John