[mythtv-users] Stupid question - deinterlacing

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Mon Feb 23 00:22:20 UTC 2009

Allen Edwards wrote:
> I tried but I don't see any difference after jump back and replay.  But,
> I did see some interlacing effects and my system does have overscan
> correction so maybe it isn't fair.

As far as I know, most CRT TVs exhibit some overscan, and any method
of correcting that during video playback will lose quality because of
scaling and merging the interlaces. I'd imagine
that's the case even for correction done via the nVidia xorg.conf
option, but I have no direct experience of using it, so I'm not
sure. What I do with my FE is scale the menus to fit the screen, but
uncheck the setting that requests to use the scaling also in playback.

> The other huge factor is what I
> watch on this TV.  Jepordy, The News Hour, This Morning with George...
> Bunch of talking heads mainly.  Plus, this is an old CRT TV and not a
> high resolution monitor.

For SD content, a lot of CRTs can give just as good quality as an
HD LCD. With fast moving content they can infact be better because
they don't need to deinterlace.

> My main interest was for my projector which is
> 720p but can take a 1080i input.  I should probably try looking at 1080i
> with it but too much work for right now.

I'd imagine that, when driving a 720p device, you are probably better
off letting Myth do the deinterlacing and the scaling, so it may
well not be worth trying. There's no way you can get the full 1080
resolution from the 720 device whatever you do.

> I don't think I am helping with your question but did want to get back to you.

Thanks. Appreciated.

Paul.