[mythtv-users] Channel Line-up Export

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Feb 24 02:18:39 UTC 2009

On 02/23/2009 09:11 PM, MrVining wrote:
> On Feb 23, 2009, at 7:49 PM, Nick Rout wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:15 AM, MrVining wrote:
>>> I'm building a new MythTV master backend as we speak.  I've done some
>>> googling and searched the wiki a bit, but I not really finding
>>> much.  Is
>>> there a somewhat simple way to export/backup my channel line-up?
>> just the channel line up or the whole database?
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore
> Just the Line-up.  Partly because I want to do a sort of perm. backup
> of some of my setup.

There's a section on that wiki page that talks about backing up
xmltvid's.  I'm planning to rewrite the backup/restore support to make
it easier (will be a normal full backup instead of a special backup).
The restore will then take a look at the old channels and try to match
them up with the new channels and try to modify the settings of the new
channels to match what you had previously (i.e. things like xmltvid,
useeit, visible, ...).

However, I doubt there will /ever/ be a (safe/reliable) way to just
backup up and then restore the channels (and all associated channel
info) themselves.  Instead, you'd have to do a backup, fetch channels
from listings provider or scan for channels, then "restore" channel
settings on top of the new channels.

The best backup--for now or after I finish the channel restore
rewrite--is a full backup.

Mike