[mythtv-users] Audio/Video Stutter on one particular HD channel.

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 16:13:55 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 7:09 AM, Josh <fuxxociety at gmail.com> wrote:

> Affected system is:
> Motherboard: Asus P5N7A-VM
> Onboard Video: Geforce 9300
> CPU: Core2Quad Q6600
> Sound: SB Audigy4 Value
> 1GB DDR2
> 40GB sata HD.
>
> Running Gentoo Linux,
> mythtv ~ # uname -a
> Linux mythtv 2.6.27-gentoo-r7 #6 SMP PREEMPT Tue Feb 10 11:10:31 CST 2009
> i686 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
> Mythtv version 0.21-fixes
> media-tv/mythtv-0.21_p19046  USE="aac alsa dvb dvd ieee1394 lirc mmx opengl
> perl python xvmc (-altivec) -autostart -debug -directv -fftw -jack -lcd"
> VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia" 0 kB
>
> Audio is handled by Audigy4 value, through coaxial/spdif
> It's a standalone frontend, backend is on another machine.
>
> Apparently only one channel is affected, with the audio buffer underruns
> and dropping video frames to resync with audio.
> I have disabled audio by setting the audio device in mythfrontend to
> 'NULL', video playback is silky smooth, no dropped frames at all.
> Mabye it was a hardware issue, so I removed the Audigy4 and tried using
> onboard audio analog to my TV speakers. That resulted in worse performance,
> with nearly all channels stuttering occaisionally.
>
> I've checked for conflicting IRQ's, my Audigy sound card is using IRQ 18
> and is not shared. Unsure about onboard, have not tested, it is disabled
> when the Audigy is installed.
> My 'mythfrontend -v playback' is located here:
> http://rafb.net/p/mkLEhL42.html

Dead link

> <http://rafb.net/p/mkLEhL42.html>
> I was playing back a recording from the affected channel while dumping the
> logfile, so all the errors at the end are related.
>
> A clip from the HD stream is hosted here:
> http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WX0KIIFC - Keep in mind that after about 1-2
> seconds, playback would stutter

Plays fine here.  No errors in the log.  Spdif output AMD 5400+ but  your
should be just as capable if not more so.

Not sure this will help but if you want to check your sound setup you can
check out a wiki I wrote.  That would be my next step.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki?title=AllensDigitalAudioHowto

Allen