[mythtv-users] Linux wall wart pulls 5 watts - could make a great master backend

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 04:48:07 UTC 2009

> What does myth do if you run a tunerless master backend?  I was thinking
> of doing that myself,
> since it is annoying that if I ever turn off my master backend, all the
> slaves just give up and don't
> automatically reconnect when it restarts, and you can't really put it to
> sleep.
>
> Tunerless slave backends work fine, I use them for transcode jobs etc.

This has been discussed at great length in several threads recently,
check the archives. The short story is that it will work fine (for
now, for most people). However, it is not checked/tested by the devs
and they don't guarantee that their changes won't cause a tunerless
backend system to stop working at some point. And if it does then it
wouldn't break because of some update it wouldn't be considered a bug
because it isn't an officially supported configuration. However, as
was reported in this thread it appears the devs are looking into
official support for tunerless backends.