[mythtv-users] Digital channel gets another channels's program

MrVining myth-user-discussion at mrvining.com
Wed Feb 25 06:08:40 UTC 2009

On Feb 24, 2009, at 10:55 PM, stefan_jones at comcast.net wrote:

> * Did a fresh scan for digital channels after deleting the existing
> ones.
> * Entered XMLid codes for program listings for the "known" digital
> channels (QAM channels carrying broadcast digital
> channels . . .ABC, PBS, etc.)
> * Edited 73#6, a newly scanned / detected  QAM channel that I knew
> -- from Silicon Dust listing and from tuning to it with my HDTV --
> was the digital version of the Sci Fi channel. I changed the name
> and added the XMLid code.
> * Restarted the backend. Ran mythfilldatabase, with the refresh-all
> and add channel flags set.
>
> * Started mythfront end. Went to the program grid. Hey, there's my
> new channel, with program listings!
> * Started a program. Star Trek. It's recording!
> * Went to the Media Library, Play Recordings. There's my program!
> And the little preview thumbnail shows . . . the president's
> address. I played it, and the "bug" shows that the channel is msnbc.
> * Swtiched to my HDTV live tuner. Confirmed that 73#6 was still
> SciFi, and was playing Star Trek.
> * Surfed around a bit. Determined that MSNBC was playing on 73#10.
>
> SO . . . what gives? Is the mythtvsetup scanner for crap?
>
> Also, I determined that manually added (as opposed to scanned and
> edited) digital channels plain don't work. Do I need to add a
> transport for the frequency of the channel, something that might
> have been done behind the scenes by the scanner?

I haven't had much luck with the XMLid, nor with the numbers matching
what my either of my TVs come up with.  When I built my channel linup
the 2nd time.  I used the HDHomeRun app to scan for channels did a
screen capture of it's response & printed it out.  Then went to
Schedules Direct and made and pulled up a channel lineup for digital
cable in my area.  I then went back to the HDHomeRun app and clicked
the view links next to each channel it found.  Watched the channel on
the VLC player till I figured out what channel it was on Schedules
Direct.  I wrote down the CH number and the exact call sign they call
it.  Finally I went into mythtv-setup did the channel scan, for me
anyway the numbers matched what HDHomeRun app came up with.  At the
top of the screen I could name it w/e I wanted ie: KARE HD (NBC).
Typed in the channel number and call sign from Schedules Direct.
Finished the rest of the set-up and did mythfilldatabase.  And all
worked perfectly without too much time.  First one was a nightmare
took half the day for me to get organized.

Hope that helps. =)