[mythtv-users] What is temporal spatial deinterlacing, and how do I get it?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 14:21:17 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Seth Daniel <mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 08:38:31AM -0500, Tom Dexter wrote:
>> I'll bet your poor results with disabling deinterlacing are due to the
>> fact that the nvidia drivers don't output interlaced content
>> correctly.  Like everyone else with a native 1080i TV (I have a RPCRT)
>> I shouldn't need any deinterlacing at all, but without it I get awful
>> tearing.  It's funny, I always though of that as an issue that only
>> affects owners of 1080i native TVs...and I assumed that's why nVidia
>> has ignored it altogether...but it never occured to me that those with
>> superior deinterlacing in their TVs should be able to disable it
>> (saving all that CPU usage) as well.
>>
>> This is why it's hard for me to get too exited about VDPAU, even
>> though it does sound really great.  I don't like the idea of depending
>> on nVidias proprietary crap for anything more than I have to...I just
>> recently stopped using opengl vsync (in favor or RTC) as it was
>> causing lockups on my system.  They've _never_ even acknowledged that
>> 1080i issue in spite of years of threads about in on their forum.  Not
>> to mention their drivers appear to be getting buggier all the time.
>> Personally I'm more looking forward to the day when there's a good
>> non-nVidia solution for HD vi DVI or HDMI.
>
> While I agree with everything you say I have to say that VDPAU is really
> very nice...even for people (like me) with a native 1080i display.
> Using 180.29 + VDPAU (for 0.21) + Bob 2x + that framerate doubling patch
> I get fantastic video from 720p and 1080i sources while using about 5-6x
> less CPU.
>
> Yeah, you still have to patch the code.  Yeah Nvidia has not
> acknowledged the problem.  Maybe I'm just easy to please but I really
> like using VDPAU.
>
> FWIW, I've mentioned on the nvnews site several times about tearing +
> an interlaced display.  I've received acknowledgments (which is more
> than I ever got before) and bugs have been filed.  So far it still
> doesn't work the way I would expect, but I still have some hope.  If you
> haven't done so already I'd encourage you to try VDPAU and post your
> results to one of the VDPAU threads at nvnews.
>
> --
> seth /\ sethdaniel.org

Thanks for the reply Seth.  That does sound pretty nice.  I may give
it a try at some point, though I need a new video card to support
it...I have a 7100GS card.

One thing confuses me though.  I use that same patch you're referring
to (to allow Bob 2x on 1080i output).  When you use VDPAU and enable
Bob 2x, the Bob deinterlacing is handled by VDPAU?

Other than the performance improvement, do you see a noticeable
improvement in the picture quality using it?

Thanks again.
Tom