[mythtv-users] HDMI vs DVI->HDMI

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 17:47:32 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:56 AM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk>wrote:

> Eric Sharkey wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:11 AM, Travis Tabbal <travis at tabbal.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>  I doesn't for me. I get worse overscan on my 8300 based motherboard
>>>  with HDMI output than I do with another board using component.
>>>  Irritating as hell. I tried using some of the options in Myth to
>>>  correct it, but never did get it working well. Some of the menu stuff
>>>  is cut off, but the picture looks good and I rarely need the menus. It
>>>  would be nice to fix it though.
>>>

>> I had the same issue with the default settings on my TV, but there's
>> an "unscaled" format option on the TV itself which allows the whole
>> picture to be seen.  No changes were needed in the MythTV
>> configuration.
>>

> Annoyingly, not all TVs offer this feature :-(
>
> --
> Simon Hobson
>
> Visit http://www.magpiesnestpublishing.co.uk/ for books by acclaimed
> author Gladys Hobson. Novels - poetry - short stories - ideal as
> Christmas stocking fillers. Some available as e-books.

I had the same problem until about 15 minutes ago, when I went through the
settings on my HDTV (46" Samsung LN46A550)  There was no explicit setting
for "Scaled" or "Zoom" or anything that I could set, but after setting
everthing I could find to "standard" or whatever, and naming my DVI/HDMI
input at "PC" it just happened to work.  I wish I knew what particular
change made the difference, but I am happy to see that it is now working.
BTW, I'm driving it with an Nvidia 9600GT via DVI->HDMI cable.  Other than
some tearing issues, I'm quite happy with the setup.