[mythtv-users] HDMI vs DVI->HDMI

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Feb 25 23:04:22 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 01:14:08PM -0500, Steven Adeff wrote:
> > I had the same problem until about 15 minutes ago, when I went through the
> > settings on my HDTV (46" Samsung LN46A550)  There was no explicit setting
> > for "Scaled" or "Zoom" or anything that I could set, but after setting
> > everthing I could find to "standard" or whatever, and naming my DVI/HDMI
> > input at "PC" it just happened to work.  I wish I knew what particular
> > change made the difference, but I am happy to see that it is now working.
> > BTW, I'm driving it with an Nvidia 9600GT via DVI->HDMI cable.  Other than
> > some tearing issues, I'm quite happy with the setup.
>
> Samsung is notorious for this, where they have different settings
> based on what you call an input. But it goes to show how the overscan
> setting is tv dependent. My Panasonic plasma has two modes, one that
> includes overscan by stretching the image to the NTSC 5% per edge
> standard (for those times when you want it?) and a 1:1 mode that does
> no stretching.

I had no problem driving my samsung via hdmi (from dvi) with zero
overscan.   Overscan is an artifact of the NTSC round tube world,
I think.   All the HD programs I see fill the non-overscanned screen
just fine, though on rare exceptions I will see a thin line on the side
of an image.     Most of my NTSC analog recordings are this way too.

The only exception, oddly, is some of the SDTV programs that the
HD stations have upsampled to HD, where they include the vertical
interval at the top of the image, so you see a line of blinking
dots.   I just ignore it these days.