[mythtv-users] --honor-but-dont-trust-cutlist

Stephen Shelton stephen at stephenashelton.com
Thu Feb 26 06:30:45 UTC 2009

Likely thought of before, but this popped into my head while considering the
dilemma of whether I should trust commercial flagging.

What if, instead of cutting commercials altogether, the commercials (or what are
thought to be commercials) are pruned and dumped into a separate video file
(which could be encoded at reduced quality)? This would have some distinct
benefits:

1) Original video is still available in the event commercial flagging was
incorrect.
2) Commercials would still consume less disk space
3) Commercials could be conveniently removed once 'approved'

You'd introduce some issues with going seamlessly between videos, potentially
(and if you couldn't accomplish that it's really not worth anything) but that
could serve a nice middle ground for such a dilemma.

--
Stephen Shelton
stephen at stephenashelton.com