[mythtv-users] Linux wall wart pulls 5 watts - could make a great master backend

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 15:30:36 UTC 2009

> I was thinking about this thing last night, and I don't think I'd want
> it as a master backend, at least in my case, because my MySQL db is on
> the master, and I doubt this thing could carry the load of the DB,
> along with everything else it would need to do. It could slot into my
> setup very easily, since my master has two HDHR's on it, and two
> PVR-x50's that I will be de-comming soon, and uses a couple of NAS
> servers for disk.

I was wondering whether it would handle the mysql server as well, but
I have no idea what kind of resources the databease takes. I knew it
can cause a lot of i/o because people often suggest having it on a
separate disk from your recordings, but I have never seen it taxing
the cpu in my system. I always thought of RAM and disk i/o as the
limiting factors for the database. But a gigabit NAS device and 512 MB
of ram should cover that, so it would just be the CPU requirements.