[mythtv-users] Boxee/Hulu?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 22:58:03 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 9:52 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 02/20/2009 03:26 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> Scott D. Davilla wrote:
>>> Hulu is working again in XBMC -> http://xbmc.org/trac/ticket/5941
>>>
>>> That took what, 1.5 days :)
>> Boxee was told by Hulu they were no longer allowed to access content.
>> There is no 'hack' or update to be done.  They are violating Hulu's
>> terms of service.
>
> Agreed...  From http://www.hulu.com/terms:
>
> Your Responsibilities. In order for us to keep the Hulu Services safe
> and available for everyone to use, we all have to follow the same rules
> of the road. In general, we need for everyone to use the Hulu Services
> for lawful and appropriate purposes only. Your commitment to this
> concept is critical. More specifically, you agree not to use the Hulu
> Services in a way that:
> # uses technology or other means to access the Hulu Services that is not
> authorized by Hulu (including disabling or circumventing any mechanisms
> for preventing the unauthorized reproduction or distribution of the Hulu
> Services);
> # accesses the Hulu Services through any automated system, including
> "robots," "spiders," or "offline readers" (other than public search
> engines for the sole purpose of, and solely to the extent necessary for,
> creating publicly available search indices — but not caches or archives
> — of the Hulu Services);
>

> Violating Terms of Service is /not/ what the Free in Free and Open
> Source Software is all about.
>
> Mike

I couldn't agree more...which brings me to this:

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 5:24 PM, Scott D. Davilla <davilla at 4pi.com> wrote:
>> Scott D. Davilla wrote:
>>>
>>> Hulu is working again in XBMC -> http://xbmc.org/trac/ticket/5941
>>>
>>> That took what, 1.5 days :)
>>>

>> So someone else ask me to ask on here, is there any chance that any of
>> this code could be turned into a mythplugin somehow?
>
> http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19550&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=hulu

Jesus...If anyone truly wants to perpetuate some myth that the open
source is some bunch of rogue pirates, the war of attrition with hulu
described in the above thread is certainly the way to do it.

Tom