[mythtv-users] What is temporal spatial deinterlacing, and how do I get it?

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 00:19:32 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> 2009/2/27 Brad Templeton <brad+myth at templetons.com>
>>
>> Hmm.  I tried using "Interlaced" with opengl -- I had not been aware
>> that there were extra deinterlacers with opengl -- and all I get
>> is:
>>

> Did you try adding the extra opengl deinterlacers and fixes written by Mark
> Kendall for 0.21 fixes ?
> http://www.btinternet.com/~mark_kendall/
>
> (my vdpau patch include those opengl mod)
>
> I had written a little report a while ago about those ; testing them all.
>
> I too would get errors like:
> 2008-10-20 21:46:44.999 Failed to approve 'opengldoubleratekerneldeint'
> deinterlacer
> 2008-10-20 21:46:44.999 Couldn't load deinterlace filter
>
> but don't pay attention to them ; they are properly loaded but later on.
>
> This is the video profile I would use with either my 9400GT or the 8600GT:
> <= 720
> standard Max CPU 2
> opengl opengl2
> Yadif (2x,HW)
> Kernel HW
>
>> 720
> Standard MaxCPU 2
> opengl opengl2
> Kernel (2x, HW)
> Greedy High Motion
>
> I had great result with those ; 2nd best after VDPAU
>
> Deinterlace with opengl:
> LinearBlend (HW): 27% CPU, 82.2% idle, weird pixels are on during scrolling
> on text, not too smooth
> OneField (HW): 24%, 86.9% idle, rather smooth but it's obvious lines are
> missing
> Kernel (HW): 27%, 83% idle, no obvious interlacing artefacts, but text
> scrolling not perfectly smooth
> Bob(X2, HW): 42% CPU, 76% idle, smother than kernel  but obivious
> interlacing artefacts (odd line more displaced than even on scrolling text)
> LinearBlend(2X,HW): 56% CPU, 72.2% idle, very smooth scrolling text, but
> weird pixels in text
> One Field(2x, HW): 50%, 74.5% idle, smooth scroll, but like OneField(HW),
> lines are missing, also like linearblend, some pixels in scrolled text
> Kernel(2x, HW): 69% , 63% idle, smooth text, no obvious interlace artefacts
> ; slight flickering
> After about 1 minute or so, CPU will jump to 116% usage for mythfrontend,
> 40% idle
> If using one core only for decoding, usage is 116% and 33.8% idle
> Interlaced (2X,HW), 38%, 81.2% idle, smooth text, interlacing artefacts
> Yadif(2x, HW): 119%, 43.8% idle, lost frames seems to be a video at 3
> frames/s at best. unwatchable
> Yadif(hw): 114% CPU, 44% idle, like Yadif(2x,hw)
>
> Linear Blend: 35% CPU, 81% idle. Text not perfectly smooth just okay slighly
> jerky
> Kernel: 31%, 84% idle, similar to linearblend, less jerky but slight blur on
> scrolling text
> Greedy High Motion: 45% CPU, 75% idle, scroll slightly jerky
> [...]

I thought that the opengl renderer wouldn't work in .21 because of
some bug in the nvidia drivers. I still get the problem where things
work fine for the first video I play but subsequent videos will just
have a black screen when I use the opengl renderer. Do those patches
make it so that you can use the opengl renderer or do the newer beta
nvidia drivers address this issue? Also is there any quality
improvement by using opengl or is it just a matter of offloading
computation but yielding the same result?