[mythtv-users] OT: Nice desktop menu for HTPC.

covert covert thecovert at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 00:50:37 UTC 2009

> I have to use a mouse. I just did this initially because we have an
> SDTV and it was very difficult to read anything in the menus, etc.,
> and I wanted it to be easy for my wife to be able to restart stuff if
> something crashed or mythtv wasn't running for some reason.

Much the same situation as mine. I dealt with the FE crashing by
running a cron job that checks if it running every minute.

* * * * * pidof  mythfrontend.real 2>&1 > /dev/null || ( export
DISPLAY=":0.0" && mythfrontend -logfile
/var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log 2>&1 > /dev/null & )

Looking to add more applications now. I will also try using XBMC as
the main launcher since it has a application menu. Tried a few
launchers and none of them seem to allow keyboard only input.