[mythtv-users] Boxee/Hulu?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 02:35:30 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 8:50 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I used the term "pirates" in the context of peoples
>> perceptions...however jumping through hoops to circumvent the actions
>> of the sites owners in order to violate the sites terms of use of
>> certainly isn't a whole lot better.
>
> From U.S. Title 17 Chapter 12:
>
> (2) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsections (a)(2) and (b), a
> person may develop and employ technological means to circumvent a
> technological measure, or to circumvent protection afforded by a
> technological measure, in order to enable the identification and
> analysis under paragraph (1), or for the purpose of enabling
> interoperability of an independently created computer program with
> other programs, if such means are necessary to achieve such
> interoperability, to the extent that doing so does not constitute
> infringement under this title.

Refers back to (1) which reads

(1) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (a)(1)(A), a person
who has lawfully obtained the right to use a copy of a computer
program may circumvent a technological measure that effectively
controls access to a particular portion of that program for the sole
purpose of identifying and analyzing those elements of the program
that are necessary to achieve interoperability of an independently
created computer program with other programs, and that have not
previously been readily available to the person engaging in the
circumvention, to the extent any such acts of identification and
analysis do not constitute infringement under this title.

What /computer program/ do you say you have "lawfully obtained the right to use"