[mythtv-users] Boxee/Hulu?

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 03:36:42 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 9:35 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> From U.S. Title 17 Chapter 12:
> >>
> >> ...in order to enable the identification and
> >> analysis under paragraph (1), or for the purpose of enabling
> >> interoperability of an independently created computer program with
> >> other programs...
> >
> > Refers back to (1) which reads
>
> It's an "or" not an "and".  It's the second branch of the or which is
> relevant here.
>
> Boxee is "an independently created computer program" which is being
> made interoperable with the Hulu web site.  The software running on
> the Hulu servers is the "other programs" in this case.

And you are therefore permitted to reverse engineer their stuff to get it
working. But that does not give you permission to use the content. The
content is still protected by their copyright. You are not infringing when
you create your program (i.e. Boxee), but you are infringing if you then
copy the content without a license (i.e. download the content from their
server in any way they don't want you to).

Regards,
Steve