[mythtv-users] What is temporal spatial deinterlacing, and how do I get it?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Fri Feb 27 19:21:42 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 09:19:23AM +0000, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> jarpublic at gmail.com wrote:
>>> I'm surprised however that the 8400gs could do Advanced 2X ; last time I
>>> tried it wasn't fast enough. Though 180.35 is suposed to improve things with
>>> low-end GPU ...
>>> so that's a good news
>>>

>> I am only doing SD.
>
> With SD content into a TV that has good deinterlacers, I think the best
> option is still to drive the TV using an SD mode line, either via
> S-Video, or via a VGA to Scart convertor (if the TV has Scart),
> use no deinterlacer at all, and put up with the interlaces getting
> out of sync sometimes.

That would do well on the SD, though I must admit that I have a long term
desire (with no time to code it, sigh) that Myth develop a mode for
"I'm doing SDTV on an HDTV."  In this mode:

    a) The SD video would be nicely deinterlaced and displayed in an
       xv/opengl style window in the middle

    b) The OSD would not go on top of the video, but on the left bar,
       and be rendered in full resolution.  Optionally on all the time.
       Ditto PIP (though why anybody wants PIP with mythtv baffles me.)

    c) Ditto closed captioning, in the other pillar