[mythtv-users] Boxee/Hulu?

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 06:13:07 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 4:22 PM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> Steve Hodge wrote:
>
>> Of course it does - downloading from the server is creating a copy. This
>> is legally well established.
>>

> Is there a legal distinction between "downloading" and "streaming"?  I
> don't actually know.  Hulu is streamed video.  It *could* be downloaded, of
> course, but that's not how Boxee plays it.

As far as I know there is no distinction, but I'm not an IP lawyer.

But consider a similar case though: say there was a subscription based
internet radio station that didn't have very good security - someone was
able to build an app that would bypass the security and listen for free. Do
you agree that using the app to listen for free would constitute copyright
infringement?

Regards,
Steve