[mythtv-users] On the finer points of VNC & SSH tunneling

Pete Cap peteoutside at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 28 19:01:51 UTC 2009

List,

This is a topic I asked about on the MythDora forums as well (so far, no takers)...

I have a combined MythTV frontend/backend sitting next to my TV in the living room.  I have successfully set up and accessed vncserver and I have ssh'd into the box both locally and over the internet (so port-forwarding on my router is a go).

What I want to do is connect in to vncserver over a secure tunnel.  All of the instructions I have seen so far require you to connect in via SSH first, and then start VNC.

Here are my questions:

1. Is there any way to do this transparently using any particular
VNC client? All the instructions I have seen require you to start your
secure shell session, then connect to vncserver. Can I reduce this to
one "automagic" step?

2. Do I need to change any of my port forwarding rules on the
router? Right now tcp/22 on the router is forwarded to tcp/22 on the
Myth box.

3. What changes might I need to make to my vncserver or sshd configs?

4. Currently, when I connect to vncserver (using TightVNC in Windows
XP) MythFrontent starts automatically, I assume because that's the
behavior set up for the "mythtv" user. How can I change this behavior?
When I vnc in under a different user, I only want to get a standard
desktop (gnome or something).
If anyone has any advice or pointers then I'm all ears :)

Vr/
Pete