[mythtv-users] What's a good projector for Myth?

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 19:41:28 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 8:58 PM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm thinking of moving my TV setup into a different room and using a
> projector onto a 100" projector screen.  I started looking into projectors
> and I'm shocked by the enormous range of prices and don't want to make a
> stupid choice.  I imagine that some of a given projector's cost may be for
> features that MythTV doesn't need, such as deinterlacing, or switching
> aspect ratios.  Other properties wouldn't be Myth-specific, like ones that
> are important for the specific room.  Can anyone share general wisdom or
> specific recommendations?
>
> My living room has high ceilings and the walls are all white, and there
> would be a fair amount of daytime viewing, so there could often be a lot of
> ambient light.  Fortunately, the windows face north.  Ideally the projector
> would be mounted on the back wall about 20 feet from the screen, but it
> could be mounted on the side wall closer to the screen if necessary.  In
> either case, the projector would be even with the edge of the screen.  It
> would probably be mounted at or above the top of the screen and throw the
> beam downward.  With a 100" screen, I don't know if 720p would be adequate
> (for comparison, I'm completely happy with the 720p native resolution of my
> 42" TV).
>
> Any thoughts?  Thanks,
>
> Jim

Thanks to everyone for your experience and advice.

I didn't see any Myth-specific comments, like "avoid this-or-that projector
because it just doesn't work!", so I can probably continue with generic
projector research.  (But maybe someone here can tell me what on earth you
get in an $8000 projector compared to one in the $2000 range.)

I'm convinced that I should do 1080p rather than 720p because of the
pixelization.  But I don't buy the argument that SD sources will show more
pixelization, since either Myth or the projector will be converting to the
projector's native resolution.  For that reason I don't see more jaggies in
SD programs on my 720p TV; instead, I see a fuzzier image.  Surely it's the
same with a projector.

I am very worried though about the ambient light issue.  This is a living
room with high ceilings, lots of windows, and potentially letting lots of
light in from other areas of the house.  The image would be projected onto
some built-in bookshelves, so a pull-down screen is necessary.  I wonder if
any projector/screen combinations would make this acceptable.

Jim