[mythtv-users] DVI to HDMI what about th eaudio???

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 28 22:09:51 UTC 2009

Raymond Wagner wrote:
> A JM wrote:
>> So, I just hooked up my DVI to HDMI on my TV went to plug in the
>> audio and the bomb just went off - how do I get the audio into my TV?
>>
>> It has analog audio jacks on the source where my HDMI is plugged into
>> but it no workey... I'm guessing that since it sees an HDMI
>> connection on that source it's looking for digitial audio over the
>> HDMI cable, how do I solve this??? This is a real problem... help!!!
>>
>> AJM,
> I came across exactly this problem a couple weeks ago. The problem is
> that the TV is telling the video card that it supports HDMI audio, so
> the video card is sending an empty audio stream along with the video,
> even though it is DVI.  Since the TV recognizes audio over the HDMI
> cable, it refuses to accept audio from any other port.
>
> You can forcefeed the driver a slightly modified EDID block with the
> audio flags disabled.  Check out this page
> (http://analogbit.com/node/23) for instructions on how to do so, and a
> copy of the program to modify the EDID block.

I had this same problem a couple weeks ago as well.  The link included
above didn't work for me because the modes that I used were detailed in
the extension block that were removed.  I ended up having to extract the
modes in the  block and put custom mode lines in xorg.conf and used the
edid file that was produced by the programs described in the link.
    Further, I used a program called monitor asset manager:
http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm
to create my own custom edid file, got everything the way I wanted it,
the nvidia driver still balked, though I had no reference to audio in
the extension block, seems like the presence of the block was enough to
trigger the audio feature in the driver.  Seems like I was not the only
one to have this problem.
See here:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=6f1001856e3b1d10d27b583890059a26&showtopic=88272&pid=508316&st=0&#entry508316