[mythtv-users] Mythtv and Choice Hotels

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 17:18:01 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 9:26 AM, David Brieck Jr. <dbrieck at gmail.com> wrote:
> Craig,
>
> I'm forced to use windows at work, so I use PuTTY as my SSH client. I
> usually don't notice things going too slow, but I know there is an
> option use compression on your SSH session. If you're doing it via a
> command line it's the -C switch and if you're in PuTTY it's under the
> SSH option under connections.
>
> I have experience using OpenVPN from http://openvpn.net/. The setup
> wasn't all that hard and there are clients for every platform out
> there.
>
> Just for clarity, you're doing something like this to tunnel port 80 correct?
>
> $ ssh -L80:localhost:80 root at server
>
> then opening up your local browser and going to
> http://localhost/mythweb/ correct?
>
> try this to add compression:
>
> $ ssh -C -L80:localhost:80 root at server
>
> Incidentally, if you have a webserver running locally, you can tunnel
> a remote port to a different local port if you need:
>
> $ ssh -L80:localhost:8080 root at server
>
> and access via:
>
> http://localhost:8080/mythweb/

David,

I'm off this week ;-), but I'll have to investigate in my spare time
over the next week or two.

I, too, was using PuTTY at work on a WinDoze PC (behind a proxied
remote-sited firewall).  I'll have to check to see what my PuTTY
session settings are when I get back to work.  I hadn't figured out
what the ssh command string produced by PuTTY was -- pointers welcome
on how to extract that info.  Otherwise, I think my setup is as you
describe, with the port translation on my home firewall/router.

When I tried to launch a Firefox (V2.x) browser on my MythTV B.E.
through the ssh tunnel, the display was horrendously slow in
refreshing.  It was like I had gone back to the days of the high-speed
(yeah, right, those were the days) 300 baud modem link.  Widgets
appeared in minutes, not milliseconds.

Craig.