[mythtv-users] KWorld ATSC-115 problems -- can't change channel, no sound

alan.mcendoo at att.net alan.mcendoo at att.net
Thu Jan 1 22:08:53 UTC 2009

It sounds like you have the same problem I had with the KWorld 115 TV card.  In my case it emerged when I upgraded from Ubuntu 8.04 to Ubuntu 8.10.  I had set the card up using the information at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Kworld_ATSC_110 in Ubuntu 8.04 where it worked in both analog and digital modes.  When I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 I had the same symptoms described, either just noise, or one channel without the ability to change it.  Others upgrading to Ubuntu 8.10 had the same issue.  It seems that the issue was with the V4l drivers packaged with different versions of the basic kernel.  At some point (back in the first quarter of 2008) a change was made to the drivers that resulted in a timing issue loading tuner modules on the i2c bus which basically means there is no tuner control on the KWorld 110/115 cards.  This was discussed on the V4l lists, https://www.redhat.com/mailman/private/video4linux-list in June and December 2008 and on the list http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=3569fb8ac624936b75259474b3a0cefc&t=1050693.

There is a patch which can be used to get it working, but it may raise issues with other V4l devices in use.  The fix is described on the Ubuntu forum http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=959407&highlight=Kworld+115.  The method is not unique to Ubuntu but should work for any linux type.

Hope this helps.