[mythtv-users] Analogue tuner via Quicktime Broadcaster

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Fri Jan 2 05:57:00 UTC 2009

I want to know if this can be done with MythTV.

I have a Mac with a USB analogue TV tuner.  (I am living in an area
with no digital TV - and anyway, the analogue TV tuner is plugged into
an also analogue cable TV box.)  The analogue TV tuner is not directly
supported by MythTV, at least not on Mac.

As a workaround, I am using Quicktime Broadcaster (see http://www.apple.com/quicktime/broadcaster/)
  to encode the video from the tuner in MPEG4 format and unicast
stream it to a MythTV backend (which is either on the same machine, or
another one - doesn't really matter).

I can receive this stream in VLC using an SDP file that Quicktime
Broadcaster exports.  The SDP file basically tells VLC to listen for
the video stream on port 5434 and the audio on port 5432.

I'm not sure how to convert this into an M3U file that MythTV can use
with its Freebox IPTV Recorder source.  For one thing, the example M3U
files that I have seen (in this thread: http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2007-September/192518.html)
  all seem to specify only one port, presumably because the video and
audio are streamed together.  Quicktime Broadcaster doesn't seem to
support that.

Is this possible?  If not, I'll go over to a Quicktime list and see if
they have any ideas of how I could do it differently (maybe I need
Darwin Streaming Server also, but it seems like overkill).

TIA

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor