[mythtv-users] Routers and dnsmasq and TFTP Re: HDHomeRun and static network

P S guierrmo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 21:42:27 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 12:53 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Friday 02 January 2009 10:49:17 Greg Woods wrote:
>> The more I read this thread, the more convinced I am that it would be
>> easier to just set up a DHCP server. It's not rocket science. If you
>> don't have a router or wireless access point that can already do this,
>> it wouldn't be that hard to install and run dhcpd on your Myth box. That
>> would certainly be easier than trying to figure out how to properly
>> configure the 169.254 addresses, or using a second NIC just to avoid
>> setting up a DHCP server.
>
> I agree. DHCP is very simple to set up, and it won't cause any problems for
> machines that don't use it.
>
> Just make sure you don't have multiple DHCP servers running on the same
> network.
>
> I prefer running a "real" DHCP server as opposed to one in a router or access
> point - The embedded ones are just too limited, for example you can't pass
> a "next server" parameter with most router dhcp servers.

The DHCP servers in some routers are surprisingly versatile, I use a
WRT54G running the Tomato firmware.  After messing with the config
file one too many times, I decided to look up the DHCP capabilities of
dnsmasq built into Tomato.

I mostly needed it to give out addresses for standard workstations and
the network boot PXE machines for minimyth.  Once I figured out the
magical incantation it was easy.  Below are the lines I needed to add
the the dnsmasq config.

dhcp-option = 42,<NTP Server IP>
dhcp-option = 66,"<TFTP IP>"
dhcp-boot = "/PXEClient/pxelinux.0",<TFTP Server Name>,<DHCP Server IP>

option 42 passes NTP Server
option 66  passes TFTP IP

the boot line points the boot file on the TFTP server.