[mythtv-users] Post transition frequency changes

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 15:56:24 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 9:32 AM, George Mari
<george_mythusers at mari1938.org> wrote:
> David Brieck Jr. wrote:
>> So as I'm sure everyone in the US is aware of by now, on Feb 17 we're
>> all digital. However, what I haven't seen publicized at all is what
>> we're supposed to do with DTV stations that are moving frequencies
>> post transition. I have about 4 DTV channels that are moving
>> frequencies in my market that I record from with the HDHomeRun.
>>
>> I presume that I will need to rescan and hope I still get my channels
>> right? Or is there something built into the the ATSC spec that is
>> supposed to essentially do a HTTP 301 redirect telling my tuner where
>> to look for the new channel?
>

> You'll need to rescan.
>
> You should go to a site like tvfool.com or avsforum.com to figure out if
> any of your stations are moving from UHF to VHF or vice versa
> post-transition.  If so, you need to make sure you have a UHF/VHF
> antenna.  Most antennas - especially small indoor ones - are UHF only,
> and are either incapable of picking up the VHF signals, or at least not
> very good at it.

Here in N.J. there are several frequency changes occuring for both
N.Y. and Philly channels, so I'll have to rescan both.

I was just looking at the code the other day to try and determine
whether or not doing a full rescan with the "Existing channel
treatment" set to "Minimal Updates" would work, and for DTV I _think_
that should work fine while causing as few unnecessary changes as
possible.  It appears that, once the scan finds a DTV station,
regardless of what frequency it's on, the channel id used in the
database (chanid) is constructed using the source id (ie your Antenna
source) and the ATSC major and minor numbers (for example 7 and 1 for
7.1).  It appears that it will create a new transport (mplexid) if
needed for the new frequency, and assign it to the existing channel.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that, but I don't think you need
the existing channel treatment set to either "Rename to Match" or
"Delete".

Tom