[mythtv-users] mythbackend still eats memory: the current status

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 18:08:57 UTC 2009

Udo,

I'm fairly certain the last time this thread appeared the response was
the same as it will be now-- "help us help you."  You are willing to
complain repeatedly about it on the list, but not even willing to
*try* to take the steps necessary to solve it.  When you say "what can
*we*" do to solve the problem, you appear to mean, "when do *you* plan
to fix it for me."  You've already been told what to do to provide
meaningful debug information.  Remove any and all patches from your
system, and run valgrind.  If you aren't able to provide information
that conclusively shows what the problem is, there's not a *single
person* who is going to waste time and effort chasing down phantom
causes for your problem.

You outright *refuse* to even *try* to run valgrind, but the point is
this.  You run it, or you won't get any help on this matter.  It's as
simple as that.  Please don't turn this into a long, useless, drawn
out thread like the last one, as I'm fairly certain I'm giving an
accurate description of the thoughts of the people capable of helping
you with this.  Everyone working on myth is a volunteer, and they/we
all work on the parts that interest us and make it fun.  It is *not*
fun to hear complaints from someone unwilling to take the specific
(and ONLY) acceptable steps towards solving his problem.  You *must*
meet people halfway, and that means removing your patches and running
valgrind.  One last time:  there *are* no other acceptable
troubleshooting steps that will get you response from people capable
of helping you.

Robert